Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2013 15:48:20 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (52 lines)
Not only is this a good idea for clarity, try photographing outside the box.  The typical archaeological photography setup is nice with the scale, but it frequently does not work well with bottles -- especially on heels or other double-curved surfaces and on colorless glass.

Alternatives include holding the fragment up to a light on the ceiling, taking it outside against a blue sky, or holding the fragment and turning it so that the light reflects from it at different angles.  Outside or inside, different backgrounds bring out different glass markings, depending on color, deterioration of the glass, and angles.  [I almost made an interesting typo -- angels; of course, those may help too).

The point is to try several different approaches to bring out embossing on glass.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Bennett
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 7:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Glass Base maker's mark help

Just a suggestion - try photographing the glass over a light box - this will make all of the embossed letters, symbols, etc come out.  If you don't have a light box, you might want to just try holding them up to a window and taking a photo- I've found that this really helps to see the details in the glass.  Tim

Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:01 PM
Subject: Re: Glass Base maker's mark help

Unfortunately, even after I downloaded the photos on my computer, magnified the images, and turned them, I still cannot make out enough detail to be of help.

If the colorless glass were cleaned up and if the individual who is looking at the real artifact can tell me what the letters, numbers, and/or symbols are, I might be able to help.

Bill Lockhart

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cody Davis
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Glass Base maker's mark help

Hello All,

A colleague of mine is needing help identifying the two bases at the below link. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/cody_d/library/Glass%20Bases

Cody S. Davis, RPA

*This electronic message transmission and any documents, files, graphics, or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain information that may be legally confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(s) named above and access by disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of the contents of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender pointing out the error, and delete the message. This message may also contain personal opinions of the author.*

ATOM RSS1 RSS2