HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2013 15:48:20 +0000
Not only is this a good idea for clarity, try photographing outside the box.  The typical archaeological photography setup is nice with the scale, but it frequently does not work well with bottles -- especially on heels or other double-curved surfaces and on colorless glass.

Alternatives include holding the fragment up to a light on the ceiling, taking it outside against a blue sky, or holding the fragment and turning it so that the light reflects from it at different angles.  Outside or inside, different backgrounds bring out different glass markings, depending on color, deterioration of the glass, and angles.  [I almost made an interesting typo -- angels; of course, those may help too).

The point is to try several different approaches to bring out embossing on glass.

Bill