HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:25:41 +0000
Hi All,

The Bottle Research Group (BRG) announces the first installment of its manufacturer's marks encyclopedia.  We will devise a solid title within the near future.

This posting is a bit long but will be worth your while if you work with bottles or plan to.

When complete, this will be a huge document (estimated ca. 3,500 pages) that will replace the long-outdated Toulouse work of 1971.  Toulouse did a remarkable job - especially considering the limitations of the period - but we have an immense quantity of improved data.

Although we have been publishing random articles in collectors' magazines, we have begun a systematic approach and have uploaded our first section - Acme - onto Bill Lindsey's Historical Bottle Webpage (via SHA webpage):

http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/AcmeGlass.pdf

We will add a new file approximately once a month, hopefully more often.  The "A" logos will be the first in the series.  Once the "A" files are complete, we will also offer them in a bound hardcopy volume that will be available through Lulu.com and (hopefully) Amazon.com.

Each volume will be accompanied by two tables.  One table will include all the "A" manufacturer's marks and the file where the discussion is located.  The second table will list all "A" glass houses (Acme Glass Co., Aetna Glass Works, etc.) alphabetically and the files in which those factories are described.

New additions (currently, the other "A" files) - as well as all the previously published BRG articles that are related to manufacturer's marks - will be posted at:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/makersmarks.htm

The Bottle Research Group will continue to answer individual bottle-related questions during this several-year-long process.  Address questions to Bill Lockhart at:

or

or to Bill Lindsey through the Historical Bottle Webpage:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/

Bill

Bill Lockhart
Professor of Sociology