From:
John Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:08:42 GMT
My package of bees is growing very nicely.  Have added a second hive
body and moved some of the honey/pollen frames from the outsides of #1
to the middle of #2.  Sounds as if I may want to intersperse
foundation >between< drawn frames, from what I've been reading these
last couple of days.  I'm going out there in another hour or two, so
will probably do that then.  I've been seeing lots of burr comb, some
of it between the top bars, some of it in the middle of comb they are
working . . .

Next question about my new bees . . . <grin>

How long do I feed the syrup mixture?  My book said, "Purchase at
least 100 pounds of sugar for each package that you have ordered and a
day or two before you expect them mix up a quantity of syrup using
approximately 20 pounds of granulated sugar to 1 gallon of warm
water."  I purchased 40 pounds to get started and have just about fed
the first 20 pounds of that.  100 pounds at this rate seems as if it
will last me into the Fall!

It seems that I probabl ought to keep feeding them as long as I'm
giving them all of this foundation to work . . .  how about  when I
put the supers on?

There is the expected collection of syrup/nectar and pollen in the
frames that are worked.  What prevents the bees from taking pollen up
into a super?

Thanks again to all.  You're helping make this an enjoyable new hobby!

-- John Taylor --
Southeast Missouri

When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!