From:
John Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 01:49:16 GMT
On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:24:10 -0400, you wrote:

>  REGARDING           RE>Feeding Syrup/Pollen

>What book are you reading?  I agree with your experience, that a new package
How to Keep Bees and Sell Honey (Walter T. Kelley)

>would never eat up 100 lbs of sugar just getting started.  Now, part of the
>difference may be in our two locations, but of the 55 packages I started the
>last week of April this year,  the *most* any package took was about 1 quart
>of syrup.  Except for making up ant bait with part of the rest, I had to
They have taken a good couple of gallons from installation to now.  Of
course, this is a brand new hive, so they are starting from foundation
on every frame.

>I wouldn't give them sugar after putting on the supers.  You want natural
>nectar honey in your supers, not sugar water honey.
That seems to be the general consensus I'm getting.  That and I may
not get much/any honey of my own this year.  <frown>

>Sure, the bees will take up some pollen into the supers, usually only the one
>just above the brood nest.  I find that this is discouraged quite a bit if I
>use queen excluders (plus I don't get *any* brood in the supers, which I find
>disgusting to try to extract around).  If you have pollen in your extracting
>frames, it is especially important to balance them well when loading the
>extractor, but otherwise it is really no problem.
Does it just get filtered out then?  I was under the impression that
it would 'stain' the honey . . . or is that just a problem if you're
going for that nice light honey?

>Ted Fischer

Thanks Ted!

-- John Taylor --
Southeast Missouri

When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!