From:
John Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 02:35:50 GMT
On a stretch of 12 hour days, I went to check my hive at late dusk
last night.  Found many (20-30) bees that appeared to be smaller than
what I'm used to seeing at the hive entrance.  They appeared to be
holding their wings about 45 degrees abducted from their body line and
about 30 degrees superiorly? (up).  It appeared that most of them were
holding wings still.  This made me think of 'K Wing'.  Unfortuneately,
my beginners book had no pictures of this symptom.  It was late dusk
and light WAS a little poor . . .

1.  Is 'K Wing' a symptom of Nosema?

2.  Is it possible that these were new bees unfolding their wings and
getting dried out?

3.  Is there a possibility that they are just circulating air?

I went back this evening, just a little bit earlier than I did last
night and there were a similar number of bees at the entrance.  There
were a few holding wings extended (almost as if in flight position).
There were many, almost in straight lines, away from the entrance, one
behind the other.  Most of these were fanning.

-- John Taylor --
Southeast Missouri

When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!