From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:29:57 EST
I asked my Nigerian friend to elucidate her last post and this is what she
now says:

"A swarm corridor is a 'tunnel' through which the bees seem to fly from one
 location to another in swarm season. It is difficult to generalise how
wide and  long they are as the precise configuration of the fly corridor seems
to depend  on where and how much forage is to be found. In our region, there
are three main  flowering periods. A main one mid way through the dry
season (like high summer  in temperate climes) when most of the local flora and
fauna is in full bloom  across the entire SW region, encompassing several
states. Then there are minor  flowering periods, which are more localised, with
local wild flowers  and trees and also when main agricultural crops (as
grown regionally) come into  flower. For example, cassava is a major crop in
our SW region so there is a  cassava corridor in our area that follows the
line of major farms across the  state.

Honey hawkers are a nuisance. We try to work with the regional food
agencies and to educate customers (in markets, churches etc by telling them  about
the medicinal properties of real honey and how to do an adulteration test
etc) about what they are buying from these people. It definitely a fraud,
diluted honey is sold much cheaper than real honey so poor people buy it,
most  not realising they are buying fake honey or diluted stuff. We also advise
how  the honey hawkers get the honey,destroying wild nests in the forests,
which  belong to all of them, destroying bees who pollinate their crops etc.
It is hard  going because the honey hawkers claim tradition and culture on
their side and  confrontations can get a bit heated! They insist it is their
right to  gather and sell etc. We are making in roads with youngsters
though who then  harass their parents not to buy from hawkers."

Chris