From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 2009 05:24:09 EST
Hi forwarded Bob Darrell's query about Nigerian bees to my Nigerian friend.
 Here is her response:

"Not sure what further details I can supply Chris. What usually happens in
our area is that we have to find the swarm corridor at the right time in
the dry  season. This involves moving bait hives about quite a bit and local
intelligence  on swarm traffic. There is usually a large amount of seasonal
forage, backed up  by agricultural crops. So swarming depends on conditions
in the hive as with  anywhere else! One observation of note is that all
things being equal, adansonni  seem to prefer brood rearing to honey collection,
good Qs are prolific - perhaps  to do with their smaller size (strength in
numbers against all comers etc),  which makes them more active and responsive
(defensive).

Depends what he has in his area. He will need to find out about local flora
 & fauna (from farmers or local agricultural college etc), if he can find
any  one else in the local area who keeps bees (look out for local honey
hawkers who  sell diluted honey and collect from the wild, so they know where
the swarms  are)..... look for honey in the local markets and ask who they get
it from  etc.

If he is in NW Nigeria, I can put him in touch with a group either in the
north or SW who could be of assistance on the ground."

Chris