From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 14:42:26 +0000
Hi Ari

> This is most likely wrong and it should start like this: most of the
> plants .......  which means more than 50 %

In fact the full text of this part of the Compendium of UK Organic Standards published by DEFRA is:

- be such that, within a radius of 3 km from the apiary site, nectar and pollen sources
consist essentially of organic crops and/or spontaneous vegetation, according to
the requirements of Provision 6 and Annex I of these Standards, and crops not
subject to the provisions of this Regulation but treated with low environmental
impact methods such as, for example, those described in programmes developed
under Regulation (EEC) N° 2078/92 which cannot significantly affect the
qualification of beekeeping production as being organic;

So it is 'consist essentially of', not 'more than 50%', in the UK.

As for 'low environmental impact methods', you are fortunate if in Finland almost all field area is included.  Our main organic certifier is the Soil Association.  They take a strong stance on criteria, and use very similar words to those above, extending the radius to 6.4km (4 miles).  I doubt that they would consider all Agri-Environment schemes under regulation 2078/92 as acceptable.  In the Soil Association's own standards they do say:

<<With our permission, you may reduce the four mile distance if you can
demonstrate that the organic integrity of the honey will not be lost. You
must provide us with evidence of this, such as:
• a pesticide residue analysis of the honey, and
• details of how the land in the region around the apiary is managed.>>

My interest comes from an idea to produce honey to Soil Association standards so that a friend of mine, who runs an organic vegetable production and retail business (to Soil Association standards) could also sell my honey.  He tells me that there is no UK SA-certified honey in the UK as yet, probably because of their use of a 4 mile radius and the standards they apply.

I too would be interested to hear the experience of others in the UK.  I know that there was one commercial outfit near me exploring the possibility of organic production, but I don't know if they were successful.  The Soil Association's wish to force similar standards on other apiaries in the same outfit may prove too much of a hurdle for some:

<< With our permission, you may have apiaries in nearby non-organic areas,
but you must manage them to all other aspects of these beekeeping
standards. >>

best wishes

Gavin