From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 11:01:45 -0500
Hello All,
Months ago when I first brought attention on BEE-L to beeks using Fumagilin
as a drench ( myself for months) and felt the uproar from my critics as to
the practice. Against label was the cry. Only when the actual label was
posted did they quickly become silent.

I only wonder if those people which caused the stir back then about labels
even read the label but lets move on.

Now that we all know the label DOES  include using fumidil as a drench and
in a much higher dose ( as the old method used with fumidil fed in two
gallons of syrup) as as often as needed in severe cases I want now to
discuss the label.

From the Medivat label:
quote:
"Heavily infested colonies that will no longer take syrup may be sprayed
repeatedly, directly on the bees, frame by frame with 1.1 sugar syrup
containing 2 G. of fumidil per litre of syrup"

A rough estimate figures the above over 10 times the old label. Repeatedly?
Some say the process needs done around 4 times at regular intervals.

Now I have been running experiments for months and can sare my observations
as well as Randy Oliver has been running experiments also. Randy has shared
unpublished information to help me and I have done the same.

How are others appliying the drench ( tools) and what are they seeing? What
levels are effective with bees not taking syrup with high levels of nosema
ceranae?

According to looking at the old fumidil label from a decade ago the rates
for mixing fumigilin B has increased. The new label is in litres and in the
U.S. beeks are most familiar with gallon measures so I wonder if those
feeding are still using the old measure which for commercial beeks was to
drop one 9.5 gram bottle split between 2  fifty five gallon drums of syrup
and feed for winter.

question:
Is the new Medvet fumigilin-B not as strong as the old fumidl or is nosema
( both) getting harder to control with the Medvet version?

From Medvet label for fall treatment:
7-8 litres for each 2 chamber colony ( approx. 30,000 bees)
4 litres for each 1 chamber colony (approx. 18,000 bees)
1 litre for each 5 frame colony (approx. 12,000 bees)

Am I understanding wrong or is 7-8 litres per each 2 chamber hive a hell of
a lot higher amount of mix than the old 2 gallons of fumidlil mix we fed for
years?

I am speaking to a large group of Kansas beeks next week so want to be sure
what I tell and recommend as to per label and correct.

From the Medvet label

water                +Sugar               = syrup                    +
Fumigilin-B
165 L              330 KG             380L.                           454 G.

35L                   69 KG             80L
96G.

8.7L                   17 KG              20L
24G.

1.8L                    3.6KG             4L
5G.

At the meeting I need to be able to talk in gallons as easier to explain to
U.S.  beekeepers. I could convert the above myself but need to get out the
door as today is another work day until seasons end.
Could those on the list (with time on their hands) break down the above
from litres and KG into gallons & pounds and tell me if ( as suspect) that
the label now recommends feeding the fall fumidil in more that 2 gallons of
syrup per hive if a normal strength hive in 2 deeps as is common in our area
and in the northern half of the U.S.

 comments?

Thanks for your help. I suspect many beeks on the list are done for the
year. I am not so ask your help. Busy time of year.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison