From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 00:22:53 -0500
> The Canadian Honey Council is asking for $50 million for disaster
> relief from the government after another year of bee losses across the
> country.

 Open letter to the Canada beeks on the list:

The solution lies with the beekeepers. Quit listening to the powers that be
and start looking deeper at the locations of your losses. The plants in your
area. Even from the U.S. we see visible patterns emerging. My friends in
Europe see patterns in Canada.

In the U.S. the powers that be do not want to take on the chemical
companies.

When you are keeping the normal bee problems under control and still seeing
losses then you need to look elsewhere for the problem.  simple.

At first beekeepers around the world bought into the idea they *might* be
the problem.  Always the first line of defense by chemical giants.

Then those beeks started keeping better control on mites and nosema but the
hives keep dying. No new chemical smoking gun  will be found in my opinion.
In my opinion and many of my fellow beeks throwing money at the problem is
not going to solve the current die offs. Sure it will help rebuild but what
about  the next time. In Europe the hives keep crashing unless chemical
companies are reined in ( which I do not believe will ever happen in Canada
or the U.S.)

*If* you fund research into problems concerning chemicals make sure those
doing the research will be willing to follow the evidence and not afraid to
stand behind findings pointing in the direction of chemical companies.

When certain chemicals are banned the situation improves. Do not let people
tell you otherwise. Do not let the chemical companies blame misapplication
as the *sole cause* of problems.

The damage to bees from the chemical companies is hard to detect. Hard to
prove. Changes are needed in your operations. New chemicals are being
registered for crops pollinated or worked by bees. Some even allowed while
the bees are on the bloom.

When beeks complain about a certain chemical the chemical companies change
the formula slightly and register under a new name which is a smart tactic
as causes problems for beeks as then you have got 2 to many named products
to fight against instead of one.

A new tactic which I have never seen used before by chemical companies.

The reason why beeks are taking the fight to the EPA. Progress is being made
to stop the above process.
Registration is getting harder.

Those researching the bee die offs in  Canada and the U.S. ignore the facts
about the areas and the crops being worked  being  involved in bee problems.

In the U.S. avoiding certain crops and areas using certain chemicals is part
of the key to survival.

True hive health is essential but look at the areas hardest hit in Canada
and oddly enough they are the areas in Canada in which the chemicals I am
always talking about are used the most.

1. make a map of the areas hardest hit in Canada.

2. check with your agriculture people to see what chemicals etc. are being
used.

If you are like the U.S. beeks which have looked at your problems you will
see a pattern.

I think your Ag people might be right when they say CCD is not the problem.

bob