Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:11:10 -0500
Candida lives in two forms essentially, the yeast form, which does not cause
problems, and the hyphal form which does.  There are intermediate forms but
these don't really count.  We forget that Candida is everywhere, and just
because they are multiplying does not mean they cause problems.  Candida in
milk will likely be in the yeast form, because of the anti Candidal factors
in breastmilk.  The mother can express if she wants and she can reheat the
milk if she wants.  And we should also not be telling mothers to throw away
their previously frozen breastmilk, because it will make the "yeast" come
back.  It won't.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC