From:
Beth O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:12:03 EST
Last night my 3 1/2 yr old wanted to nurse while attending my oldest
daughters high school choir concert. We were on the FRONT row. I told her we
would have to wait to do that at home and to please not ask again. Later,
they turned the air conditioner on because the kids on the stage were real
hot. So I reached over and got her coat to cover us up. (she was in my lap).
Katie looked up at me and said "muddur.. mudder I need to talk to you about
someting. Now that you have my coat here you can nurse me and nobbody will
see us. "  Needless to say. I went ahead. I figure.. if a 3 yr old can
instruct me on discreet nursing I best oblige haha.

I really get upset thinking about that mother and the 6 yr old thing. I
nursed my son, (my second born) till one week to the day before he turned 5.
I do not feel you can force a child to nurse. Maybe one time if you are
engorged you can persuade them to help you out... but certainly not long
term. I think who ever said that he told the authorities that he did not want
to nurse anymore, probably he, like my 3 yr old, knew that others out there
would not understand their bond and freak out. Which they did. He was right
wasn't he?!

Is anyone in the breastfeeding community helping them? What is the status of
this?

Btw. I have been either preg and or breastfeeding constantly for 16 1/2 yrs.
Do I win the prize? Katie is my last.. so someone has a chance to catch me
one of these days.

Beth O'Donnell, IBCLC and LLL Leader
Administrator, East Lake UMC Academy, and inclusive Church School
<A HREF="www.teachus.com">www.teachus.com</A>
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham
Lincoln