Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:10:17 -0400
From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
To: cotterman <[log in to unmask]>
>what about some mention of ribs? "Ribs to ribs"? Or
>forget the alliteration and say "Chest to ribs"? "Hug his chest, belly
>button and knees close to your ribs"? "Snuggle his frontside right up to
>your ribs"?

What's nice about this is that it's *fresh*.  The mom hasn't heard it
before, hasn't already wrapped it in an interpretation of her own
without seeing exactly what her helper means by it.  It caught my
attention because it had no meaning to me at first;  I had to *think*
about what it conveyed.  "Snuggle" is a good word too - linked to the
non-milk aspect of breastfeeding.

Maybe we need to stop wondering which of the old phrases is most
effective and come up with some brand new ones, maybe even individual
ones - Barbara W-C's cummerbund notion and others - that rock moms out
of whatever preconception they had and give them a new mental image.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY