From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:16:09 -0500
Hi Trish,

1. Practice discreetly rolling your eyeballs back in your head.
2. Learn the fine art of muttering under your breath Jack's famous line
"Arrrggghhhh!"
3. Program your speed-dial phone with 2 or 3 trusted colleagues who will
listen to these stupid tales and laugh (or cry) with you.
4. Keep reading Lactnet, and contribute these stupid stories for our
collective amusement.

Seriously for a minute - keep track of the nonsense, and work the myths into
your educational work with mothers. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither
will these myths go away quickly, quietly or gently. Persistence pays off -
I truly can say that the myths circulating in 1999 are less stupid than the
myths of 1989 or 1979. Maggots cannot stand the sunlight, so keep shining
the light of correct information on the myths whenever you can do so without
creating a major social scene. OK, maybe even when exposing the myths DOES
create a scene. Make sure your facts are correct because newer research
keeps changing what we "know" about breastfeeding.

We are the "peer support group" for one another in this work. Welcome
aboard!

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC (a.k.a. Coach Smith)
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA
http://www.bflrc.com