From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:05:44 -0500
<< I think poor Doris is revolving in her grave :-)>>

Ack! She's not dead! Doris Haire, author of The Cultural Warping of
Childbirth, is still very much alive and well, and very involved in birthing
advocacy work!

Many, many people are trying to change "the system." One good (new) resource
is Suzanne Arms' video Giving Birth: Challenges and Choices which I reviewed
for the June 1999 Journal of Human Lactation. Her book Immaculate Deception
II makes for powerful reading.

And the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative is also very much alive and
well. I am ILCA's representative to the Coalition for Improving Maternity
Services which is coordinating the MFCI. The web site for more information
is www.motherfriendly.org. The next meeting of the Coalition is in late
February.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre