From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 06:46:14 +1000
Manchego sheep milk cheese is available at a suburban supermarket near me,
though I haven't seen it elsewhere. It has texture in it and I agree it is
delicious. I myself also tolerate other hard sheep=milk cheeses and
sheep-milk yoghurt. Bearing in mind the similarities in some of the
proteins, just because some of us can eat it, doesn't mean anyone with a
cow's milk protein allergy can.
However, for those who can, Manchego and other sheep-milk cheeses and
yoghurts are a delicious alternative to bovine products.

When thinking of foods that are good calcium sources (as are sheep and goat
milk and their cheeses), we in the West tend to forget other foods, when we
could be eating a wider range of calcium sources.  I eat dried figs most
days, and I sometimes eat canned fish with soft, edible bones. This is all
the more reason why it makes sense for a breastfeeding mother going on an
exclusion diet, in the belief that "something in her milk" is affecting her
baby, to be guided by a nutrition professional.

Virginia
in Brisbane, QLD, Australia