From:
paul mabin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:46:41 -0500
First, Hello my name is Stephanie Mabin RNC , I recently received my IBCLC
certification, and a relatively new lactneter.  Although I have only
recently achieved my IBCLC, I have spent the past 12 years helping mothers
and there newborns with  breastfeeding.  I have done this at St. Peter's
University Hospital in New Jersey. The reason for my entry today is to
hopefully clear up a misinterpretation about our c/s mothers at St. Peter's.
Recent entries to lactnet from a new lactation consultant to our hospital
portrays all our c/s mothers as being unable to nurse due to the fact that
they are "too out of it".  This is not the case at all.  The majority of our
mothers receive the epidural anesthesia Doromorph.  They are fully alert,and
feeling very little or no pain. The only complaint that I see often, is the
itching that many experience as a side effect. Although our mothers are not
given the opportunity to recover with their infants, (they are taken to our
newborn nursery- with the fathers) they are not given bottles unless
medically there is a need . They are ready to return to their mothers, by
the time that the mothers are in their room.  I, as the nurse to take these
infants out for the first time, do not see our mothers being out of it.
They do not receive any further medication for the first 24 hours after the
Doromorph is stopped.  The difference between my view and our lactation
consultants view, is the fact that I am seeing all the mothers, and our
lactation consultant is only seeing our moms that are having trouble.  Our
hospital could make many improvements to help our breastfeeding mothers, but
for a hospital that has the number of deliveries and the number of staff,  I
feel are doing well.  It is always hard to have all the nurses and support
people be as supportive of breastfeeding as we would like, but we are
trying.   I initially was going to keep this as a private matter, but I want
to assure everyone that St. Peter's is a very good hospital to deliver at.
We are a leading hospital in our state, we provide good care, and are
constantly trying to improve.  ( this includes in lactation)  -- Original
Message -----
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of LACTNET digests <[log in to unmask]>