From:
Christine Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:48:42 EST
I researched this stat.  It comes originally from a research article written
in the 70's based upon Great Britians mortality rates at that time.  DR.
Rogan ( I e-mailed him, he is at the  United States Institute of
Environmental Health Sciences and is the one who first published this stat in
his article, which looked at PCB'S in breastmilk) believes that they came
upon this number by adding up all the causes of death potentially
attributable to formula-feeding.  Great Britians mortality rate is generally
below ours.  The number was published in the US in Cunningham's epidemiologic
review of the 80's.  (sorry don't have the exact reference at home here).
Chris Betzold NP CLE