From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 23:57:35 -0400
Hi Gail,  My deepest sympathies to the mom.

Some things she should know:

Breastmilk helps to prevent NEC and although it did not for the twin who
died, it may still for the living twin.  I hope she finds some comfort
in the knowledge that she did the best she could for her baby, despite
the sad, sad results.

It is helpful to have more milk than a premature infant needs.  I've
seen many mom's supply level off at about the time the infant's needs
increased to full feeds at a larger size (close to discharge).  I would
not decrease the frequency of pumping or try to decrease the breastmilk
supply right now.  Maybe later but then again maybe not.  Milk supply
may decrease independently with the trauma.  It sometimes happens that
milk supply seems to follow baby's condition.   Paula Meier's work
recommends a goal of a higher level of milk supply than the infant needs
at discharge but I can't remember the ratio, 50% more than needed I
THINK, at the time of discharge.   I wonder if anyone else has the
reference handy and knows the actual recommendation.  I won't be back to
my work site until Thursday.

Oh course, no one should say "at least you still have the one baby" but
some one probably will.   Her grief may not be diminished because she
still has a living child and she is probably terrified she will lose
that one too.

There is probably more but it is late and I can't think of it now.

Carla
mailto:[log in to unmask]