From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 13:20:13 -0400
Gloria wrote:
> baby is
> biting one breast only.  This resulted in a cut at the base of mom's
> nipple.  ..... IS
> there some way to bandage the cut, so she can pump?

My question to the group and my thought for Gloria's case is ...how do
you all feel about stitching this type of injury where the nipple is
torn at the base.   I think a stitch or two combined with areolar hand
expression would be worth considering.   I can't imagine machine pumping
in Gloria's case.

Below is a case history with some similarities:
I  had a client in hospital who reported nursing 6 months with first
child and no problems, nursing one week with 2nd and having such severe
problems that she quit.  She was now nursing her 3rd and doing well on
day 2.

She had wide nipples and a soft, compressible areola.  A bit of a
challenge to get enough areola in babies mouth but it could be done.
Easily expressible colostrum.

What she reported happened with baby #2 was a "biting off" of the
nipple. She said the nipple was deeply separated at the base and they
STITCHED it back in place!  She quit nursing.  Now I could kick myself,
I didn't ask how she handled engorgement or just how much of the nipple
was separated.  I was happy to see the colostrum seemed to be flowing
(with hand expression) equally easily from all parts of both nipples so
I believe it recannulated.  She felt baby #2 was just a barracuda style
nurser and says the baby was not tongue tied.  I suspected it was a very
poor latch and so we spent lots of time learning how to latch deeply.

Carla