From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 07:27:51 -0500
Dear Diane, I'm not a Lactnet dr, but I am a HCP - PNP.  I see lots of
those thrushy looking tongues in bot fed babies and they are NOT benign,
contrary to popular opinion that thrush doesn't hurt!  Ask  any adult who
has had thrush!  Thrush makes for cranky,  irritable, unsettled babies.
I'll see the tongue and then ask parents to describe behavior. Or I'll ask
is baby cranky, irritable, unsettled.  It is hard to parent an  infant like
that!  I almost always treat. Of course with a BF dyad both are cranky :-)
!

And I almost always use diflucan 10mg/ml because it is given once a day,
easy for parents to use and very effective, maybe overkill (please don't
bother to e-mail me)  but I've seen cases drag on for weeks on nystatin
with no real resolution or relief.  Occassional tx with Nystatin (when mom
remembers it -  never 4 x a day,   for heaven's sake) just doesn't do the
job.  and I wonder if a little nystatin here and there doesn't help make
the thrush resistant.

Sincerely, Pat in SNJ