From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:02:31 -0500
Dear Miriam, my MSN research was called "Nursing Research: From Paper to
Practice."  Of course the nursing research I looked at was breastfeeding
research :-)  The theory I used was Everett Rogers, Diffusion of
Innovation, 1983.  I really recommend reading his book or a newer one by
Joel Barker (that Kay Hoover Introduced me to) "Future Edge: Discovering
New Paradigms for Success," 1992.

Use of research-based knowledge is an on-going process and is influenced by
characteristics of the adopter, organization, and the research/innovation,
itself.  Resistance is the usual reaction whenever new ideas are
introduced.  This has been recognized for centuries!  If I remember
correctly Rogers says it takes about 30 years for new info  to be
incorporated into practice  :-b

 I looked at nursing research articles about nursing and research-based BF
knowledge.  My lit review  went back into the 70's. One quote "Two decades
of research support the value of breastfeeding and identifying ways to
increase maternal success with breastfeeding.  In spite of this research
support, much of the breastfeeding research remains unused by health  care
professionals."  This was written in 1993-94.  and sad to say I'm perfectly
positive that it has not changed in the past few years!

The BF knowledge scores that I got in 1994 were slightly less than Crowder
got in 1981!  Over and over, the conflicting, confusing, not valid info and
poor hospital practices used daily by most HCPs caused problems for moms.
Of course my research also pointed that that most perinatal nurses read ONE
research article per month!

Sorry to share all this bummer info.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ