From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 18:51:52 +0100
In terms of general parenting, the best book (do note, I'm making an
absolute statement here!) is

"The Science of Parenting" by Margot Sunderland.

It's not a 'how to' but a 'why' book.  In contains the last 15 years of
brain based research on child psychobiology and development, in a handy
and readable form for parents.  If I had the money, I'd buy it for every
parent on the planet.

It explains clearly why co-sleeping makes babies happier and healthier,
and how Crying It Out can kill them.  It takes you through all
developmental stages, and explains the science of why some 'parenting
styles' work, and why others are damaging.  It makes a strong scientific
statement for why physical health and well being is linked to mental
health and self esteem, and supports all the basics of what we'd call
sound parenting in this community - breastfeeding, baby wearing and
following the child's lead.

It is a marvel.

Even if it doesn't mention breastfeeding but in one passing reference.

Supernanny et al need not bother to open its covers.

If you've never seen it - go find a copy and look at it.  That it
doesn't advocate any 'style' of parenting, is a plus - you'll never be
accused of bias!

In terms of actual baby care - breastfeeding etc - I reckon the Sears
"The Baby Book" has it all.  It even tells you how to fit for first shoes!

Morgan Gallagher