Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:04:08 +0100
Apologies if this message is coming for the second time; my e-mail is acting
odd.
Anything at all with Penny Simkin's name on it will be good.  She is the
first-listed author of 'Pregnancy, childbirth and the newborn' which I imagine
is still in print.
'Giving birth: how it really feels' by Sheila Kitzinger, or any other book by
her about childbirth, would give inspiration to most anyone.  Kitzinger and
Simkin are both BF savvy too.
Personally I am always on guard when books are written by obstetricians from
the US.  What do they know about normal birth?  Even most women in North
America know little about normal birth, but Penny Simkin is a notable
exception.
There are a number of books aimed at midwives, like Ina May Gaskin's
'Spiritual midwifery' and Elizabeth Davis' 'Heart and hands' but they may put
off the mainstream woman who is getting to know her body's potential for the
first time.

For the more adventurous or those who like color photos, 'Women giving birth'
which is the English translation of a Dutch book called 'Baaren', about
birthing in upright positions, by Saskia Rees, the late Astrid Limburg and
Beatrijs Smulders, is one of my favorites.  Not much about breastfeeding but
beautiful birth pictures.  Since they are mostly at home and many with sibs
present it will not be for everyone, but I love it.

I don't think this is off-topic.  Breastfeeding is a long-term continuation of
childbirth, if you take the view that childbearing includes nurturing the
offspring until weaning happens in its natural context.  It's only when we get
to discussing the fine points of labor 'management' and forget to put it in a
BF context that we drift too far from Lactnet's focus.
Rachel Myr
one of the guardians of normal childbearing in Kristiansand, Norway