From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:37:02 -0400
Walter Meyer wrote:

>I came to a real appreciation for Verdi rather late, but to this day I have
>yet to attend a live performance of his *Falstaff*, and I've attended several,
>that I didn't find tedious.  On the other hand, I've found my recordings of
>same, when I followed them w/ the libretto (Karajan on CD, Toscanini on LP),
>positively delightful.  I don't know whether it's the performances or that
>for me, the opera is better listened to on recordings than watched live.

I happen to like Falstaff, though it took awhile.  However, my purpose in
writing is not to discuss the merits of Falstaff, or of Verdi, but to pick
up on Walter's point about some operas being more rewarding *without* the
staging.  This is kind of a radical notion since, by definition, opera is
the melding of text, music and dramaturgy.  Still, for me, Tristan and
Isolde is a perfect example of what Walter is talking about.  Whenever I
watch it I am bored to tears; whenever I listen to it I am moved to tears.

Ed