From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:00:56 -0500
Ed Zubrow:

>... Walter's point about some operas being more rewarding *without* the
>staging.  This is kind of a radical notion since, by definition, opera is
>the melding of text, music and dramaturgy.  Still, for me, Tristan and
>Isolde is a perfect example of what Walter is talking about.  Whenever I
>watch it I am bored to tears; whenever I listen to it I am moved to tears.

That's a perfect example all right.  Tristan as staged tends to be
exceptionally static, because what mostly happens in the opera, aside
from the music, happens inside the principals, and you don't expect the
kind of acting from singers that is going to express that in the least
adequately.  Also, the orchestra carries a lot of this opera.  The ears,
and not the eyes, let the audience share Tristan and Isolde's feelings.
Now, Die Meistersinger, in contrast, written close to Tristan in time,
is spectacular on stage, especially the final act.

Jim Tobin