From:
Bill Blank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:16:37 -0600
I am searching for a cellist soloist who appeals to me.  Since Casals,
I can't find one I really like. I usually use the Elgar Em concerto as
a test, partly because I heard Casals live which brought me to tears,
romance and the joy of melancholy.  I would like to relive this in
recordings.

I have the Yo-Yo Ma and Du Pre recordings.  I do not like Yo-Yo, techincally
brilliat, he has no passion, IMO.  Du Pre is better, but no Casals.  The
mono Casals recordings do not do him justice.

Would anyone recommend a 'passionate' cellist young enough to have
recorded DDD modern recodings?

TIA,

Bill