From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:20:31 -0500

Kevin Sutton wrote:

>Bravo Dave.  No loves classical music more than I, and I of course
>want to see it held to the highest standard.  But I am also an ecclectic
>musician, who sees value in all forms so long as they are of their genre's
>highest quality.
>
>Here are some examples: I love Steely Dan and Queen.  I adore the folksy
>twang of Iris Dement.  I think that Don McLean is one of the world's
>most eloquent and expressive songwriters.  I am very partial to George
>Melachrino, Esquivel and Martin Denny.
>
>There is fine music in every genre.

Respected commentators both, Dave and Kevin's cautions against
exclusivity are well taken.  This is the counterpart to the argument
that one's listening preferences should not be prejuedged by others;
when we open our ears to new things, we are likely to find more things
to like.

My concern is a practical one. I am more than open to trying new
things and expanding my listening tastes which already encompass jazz,
traditional country and western music, as well as rhythm and blues.
However, how does one find new stuff that is GOOD?  I don't mind trying
new things, but to waste precious listening time on dreck or commercial
cotton candy troubles me.

So, all you eclectic savants: how do you find the Iris Dements, Melachrinos,
Esquivals, and Dennys (none of whom I have heard of much less heard) of
the world?

Ed