From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 14:10:21 PDT
Ray Bayles wrote:

>The problem with me is not whether the new Tureck Goldberg's is good.
>It is just not nearly up to her earlier performances.  I think you buy
>this only after your own earlier ones.

Tureck's new recording certainly is not a big hit with everyone.  Although
that surprises me some, I can't deny that her tempos and manner of playing
are unusual for this day and age.

The reason I disagree with Ray is that as artists gain maturity through
life experiences, their musical interpretations tend to change.  I'm not
stating that they change for the better or worse; just different.  I
believe that Tureck brings to her new GV her specific insights which are
built on over 80 years of life experiences.  Much earlier in life, she
could not possibly possess the particular bundle of insights she now
possesses, and vice versa.  Now, one might prefer "earlier" Tureck or
"current" Tureck, but my point is that each end has much to offer.
Outstanding artists are just that throughout their professional lives.
Tureck clearly has not lost her technical skills or her spirit.

Don Satz