From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:25:13 PDT
I recently picked up a Teldec disc of Martha Agerich performing the
Schumann piano concerto and Kremer playing the violin concerto, both
works conducted by Harnoncourt.  This had passed me by somehow when it
was initially released.

My main interest was Argerich since the piano concerto is one of my
favorite works.  It was not a pleasant experience.  When I get a new
version of the concerto, I always go first to the third movement.  Argerich
certainly was playing at a fast clip, but the piano sound was submerged at
many instances; I blame it on the engineering, but regardless, the momentum
of the movement was entirely ruined for me.

I'll try the violin concerto tonight.  Hopefully, Kremer will be coming
through "loud and clear." As for this piano concerto performance, it's for
those folks who really don't care to hear a piano.

Don Satz