From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 14:23:59 PDT
Michael Butera wrote:

>I was wondering if you would provide us with your top ten (or so)
>performances.

Michael was asking this of Ray, but since I never mind my own business,
I'll chime in with a list of twenty:

   Aldwell on Biddulph
   Cole on Virgin
   Suzuki on Bis
   Verlet on Astree
   Gilbert on Harmonia Mundi
   Tureck on VAI
   Tureck on DG
   Hantai on Opus 111
   Rousset on Decca
   Gould on various Sonys
   Jarrett on ECM
   Nikolayeva on Hyperion
   Rosen on Sony
   Pinnock on Archiv
   Leonhardt on Vanguard (thanks, Jonathan)
   Schepkin on Ongaku
   Tipo on EMI
   Schiff on Decca
   Serkin on RCA
   Payne on Bis

Of these twenty fine recordings, my special affection goes to Hantai,
Nikolayeva, Tureck (DG), Leonhardt, Schepkin, and Tipo.

These judgements are subject to revision as I mature greatly on a daily
basis and mental instability is an inherent facet of my gene pool.  This
instability must account for my omission of Landowska.

Don Satz