From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 19:37:53 -0600
Don Satz comments are acknowledged, but I stick by my belief that if you
are only going to own one Turek Goldberg's, this new version should not be
the one.  She has been a great interpreter, but has interpreted out on this
one, in my opinion...  to where this is just another Goldberg's Variation.
In her newest recording she skips some repeats, experiments with some
tempos but not consistently, and tries out some subtleties but doesn't pull
them off.  She provides us with music that is not as fresh as I expected
from a pianist of her greatness.  I don't understand why she thought she
had something new to say.

I do believe you should own at least two or three of her six recordings
of the Goldberg variations.  I think her best is the VAI recording from
1993 or 1994.  That would be in my list of top-ten Goldberg Variation
performances.  This one is nothing special.  If you buy CD's on a budget
and don't have any Turek, get her 2-CD set, Great Recordings of the 20th
Century, then save up for the VAI recording.

Ray Bayles