From:
Eric Nagamine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:16:10 -1000
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>What is the current state of community support for classical music in
>Philadelphia?...Is the orchestra still recorded and broadcast on the radio?

While the orchesta has no recording contract, they have started recording
again.  In fact, they've just completed sessions for a Dvorak/Liszt program
a few weeks ago.  This is one of the most natural sounding recordings I've
ever heard coming out of Philadelphia.  Scheduled for Spring release on the
orchestra's own label.  Plans are also to issue a historic box ala the NYPO
broadcast box, but with also long un-available commercial recordings and
some the experimental Bell labs recordings with Reiner and Stokowski for
the orchestra's centennial.  I've also heard that Sony is interested in
doing a Rach 3rd piano concerto with the orchestra if underwriting can be
found.

As to the broadcasts, they are only local.  They apparently couldn't get
any sponsors for the national broadcasts like last season's WFMT series.

Aloha and Mahalo,

Eric Nagamine