From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 07:48:10 -0600
Mimi Ezust wrote of the Philadelphia Orchestra:

>I am still outraged that they have no recording contract.  I have always
>thought that orchestra was one of the top in the entire country.

Where do you direct your outrage?

I would wager there are many reasons why the have no recording contract.
The cost of recording a US orchestra is astronomical.  Ok, so we can be
angry with the Union...but then if there was a market for a new recording
of the standard repertoire...so do we blame the record buying public?

As much as I love music of this century I can't imagine I would have any
interest in buying a new recording of the Philadelphia orchestra playing
anything other than the commissioned works from their upcoming series.

Speaking personally, I can't see any reason to record the Philadelphia
Orchestra, given their myopic perspective on programming.  While I
would assume they have excellent musicians, I would wonder if their
interpretations would have as much character as those given by Stokowski
and others who brought a distinctive perspective to the music.

Karl