HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rob Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 15:38:21 EST
     While excavating for a park trail at Fort Edward National Historic
     Site in 1995, a Parks Canada crew under the direction of John
     Guilfoyle found a stack of 6 foil seals, about the size of a quarter,
     embossed with the brand name "Greenpark" and the slogan "Sold for the
     prevention of disease."  I assume these are from condom wrappers, and
     my guess is that they date to World War I when a small contingent was
     stationed at Fort Edward.  The site, first occupied in 1750, has been
     a popular local park for the town of Windsor so I'm not ready to jump
     to any conclusions on who left what.  I have run into several deadends
     trying to track down a good reference on condom history or reference
     to the manufacturer.  Admittedly, the search has not been a top
     priority, but it is an interesting part of the military history and I
     would also be happy to get any leads on information.