HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Creamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:49:21 +0000
The Great Baltimore Brewery dig was done in 1983? (I think!)  No report
was completed.  The excavation was run by Charles Cheek, now at Milner
in Alexandria;  he could give you the details.  While the site did
contain a brewery, the building was later reused by a coffin
manufacturer.  The excavation was focused on a privy feature related to
an upper-class family who lived on the block.  I think the only
brewery-related artifact recovered was a perforated clay tile,
approximately one and one-half feet square, thought to have been used
for drying grains prior to the brewing process.  This tile is on display
at the Baltimore Center for Urban Archaeology; contact Louise Akerson.

Carmen Weber
(I'm on my hubby's e-mail account!)