Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2019 18:16:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
> Pete, I suspect that what you meant to say was,  Regarding the infliction of *injury*

I don't think so. The question is whether or not there is pain as a result of injury. When we know that there will be pain, we employ an analgesic, as during surgery. When there is no pain it isn't needed, as in getting your hair cut. In between there are traumatic experiences which may require some sort of sedative, such as a colonoscopy. 

As this applies to honey bees: my main reason for applying smoke is that I believe it acts as a sedative or an analgesic, alleviating the stress or pain that a honey bee colony would experience if manipulation is performed with them "wide awake." I only apply as much as is needed, not more, not less. I believe I can tell when they are stressed and when they are not, but I have no proof.

In the quoted statement, they emphasized the attitude of empathy with the organism. This may flow from evidence or assumptions. Insects are a special case since they have exoskeletons which probably don't have nerve sensors. But the muscle tissue probably does. And doubtless they experience something akin to alarm, though honey bee workers certainly seem to be fearless.

Peter L Borst

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2