From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:52:54 -0600
> There appear to be enough hives in Calif.  May I suggest that you don't
> bring in any more unless you have firm contracts.

I do not believe the situation can be linked to a single factor. Can you
confirm what we suspect?

1. water issues.

2.mostly good hives (some strong as heck.

3. Because a move started last year to readily accept field run bees due to
cost some beeks went to splitting 10 frame hives into two hives to actually
make a better profit and in many cases eliminate splitting issues right
after almonds. We battle to split hives after almonds to prevent swarming in
apples.
In other words for those not understanding what I am saying (Randy does) if
you take a few thousand strong 10 frames and bust into 6 thousand 5 framers
you can produce a glut of bees. Beeks which bring strong hives in and feed
feed feed after Dec. 22nd can produce the hives to split in half.
 Heavy doubles in and singles ready for a second deep out. Not all out of
state beeks are doing the above but enough are to help create a glut of
bees.

4.almond prices low and with pollination high and water cost high some
growers might consider passing this year to rest trees.

Am I close Randy or way off base?

bob