From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:09:49 -0500
>A bonus here is that if you don't use excluders, and you don't uncap
>deep, the queens are more reluctant to lay in the extra deep cells
>that develop with the wide (8 frame) spacing, and tend to stay in the
>brood nest -- where normal 9 or 10 frame spacing is used.
>Regards
>Allen
>W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
>RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
>Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
>Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>

Thanks, Allen.  Yes, forgot to mention this but have indeed found it to be
so.  Sometimes a bit of brood ends up in the very first super but it's gone
and replaced by honey by the time it's harvested.  Evidently the queens do
have an aversion to trying to lay in such deep cells.  So I've dispensed
with the excluders while using 8-fr spacing.