From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:46:43 -0500
>On average, how much honey is extracted from one medium depth super?
>Per shallow super?  I'm looking for a practical factor that I can use
>to estimate my production.
>
>Also, is there a significant difference in yield using eight frames
>instead of nine?
>
>Thanks,
>John in Dallas

In my experience, about 25 lbs from a shallow, about 35 lbs from a medium,
and 45-50 lbs from a deep, by the time it reaches your buckets.  Then there
is also the honey you salvage from the cappings.

I used to run 9 frames in honey supers.  Now I go with 8, evenly spaced
across the super.  This works great.  The combs are fat, easy to uncap
right back to the wood and yield more wax.  My guess is that the 8 frames
might yield a little more honey than 9 as they are drawn out more with
greater cell volume.  (Not sure, tho'.)  The bees seem to work very well
with the extra "elbow room," which gradually is lessened as the combs are
extended out.  They appear to respect this  extra-wide spacing in the
honey-storage area without problems.  Gives them a chance to do some wax
construction.  Another nice thing about 8's is that your handling is
decreased by 11% when extracting (and each comb-unit holds more).  Yes
there is burr comb, often containing lots of honey.  This is scraped right
down during uncapping with a few fast sweeps of the uncapping knife, and
the frame is clean again - no problem.   Hope this helps.  Toodaloo,  J.