From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 15:21:27 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Gerald
Herrin <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I took newly hived swarm to an area I had used before, and today I find
>that the bees are all dead. They were piled up in front of the hive and
>also dead bees inside the hive. I suspect pesticide poisoning (a large
>alfalfa field is relatively close). Could the drawn comb inside the
>hive be used or should it be discarded? I would think that i could
>safely use the the drawn comb. Any suggestions?

I have read the other responses to this and agree with what they say IF
the initial impression of the the writer, that it was pesticides, is
correct.

However, I have quoted the whole of the initial post above, because I
find it as interesting for what it does not say than what it does say.

First clue to me, having seen a few pesticide kills in my time, that all
may not be exactly as thought is that ALL the bees are dead. This would
be a relatively unusual conclusion to such a situation, sure it can
happen, and a swarm, with a prevalent of foragers, would be more likely
to suffer this fate.

However, the other information not included was weather, time it took to
happen, and presence or absence of stores inside the hive. These are
important pieces of information in deciding a possible/probable cause on
the basis of facts reported in an internet posting.

My first impression from the description of the disposition of the dead
bees was not pesticides but starvation. I have seen it before and it was
just like this. Summer starvations often have a lot of crawlers, even a
predominance, and bees piled up outside the door where they have reached
in their desperation of hunting for food. Lots of dead inside too. And
no stores. So, new swarm, hived on dry combs, no nectar flow due to
weather or absence of forage, and catastrophe looms in the absence of a
feed. This would kill all the bees in the hive, whereas many pesticide
kills leave a proportion alive.

If this is not a possible cause then perhaps poisoning is indeed the key
issue. Any chance someone disliked the hives presence so much that it
could be malicious?

In a case of malicious poisoning I would argue against using the combs,
but in most other circumstances (bar disease) would do so without worry.

Main thing is, if you want a reliable opinion, you have to give
plentiful info. Almost to the point of tedium. As the cause may not be
quite what first impressions or instincts tell you. Some of us are
thousands of miles from you and so need as much information as possible
in order to give an opinion which is worth anything.

--
Murray McGregor