From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:00:56 -0400
As an example of how organic farming could be overseen, one could follow the
example of Kosher food certification:

> After the State of Israel, New York is the world’s largest manufacturer
and consumer of kosher foods. With more than 82,000 different Kosher
certified products on market shelves, the Department continues to be
vigilant in assuring consumers that food products offered for sale as
Kosher, are indeed Kosher. In 2002, the Department conducted 7,500
inspections in New York State.

> Senator Martin J. Golden said, "The implementation of New York State's
Kosher Law Protection Act greatly strengthens consumer protections against
false or misleading representations of foods sold or offered for sale as
'kosher'. By requiring vendors to disclose the basis for their
representation that such foods are kosher, we have taken a crucial step in
restoring the confidence of the kosher consuming public in the food
purchases made. It was necessary to afford kosher consumers this protection."