From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:13:14 -0400
Greetings
We have discussed in the past the fact that there are no standards fro
Organic Beekeeping in the USA. In Europe, however, there are standards
and it might be of interest to look at them.

* They recommend preference for regional honey bee varieties, of which
there aren't any in the USA

* I think the elimination of plastic in the bee hive is a good thing
(except for comb honey)

* Mandatory inspections to ensure compliance sounds like the only
credible approach

* I don't get the part about not clipping the queen's wing. They do
recommend requeening colonies to "rejuvenate" them

* They allow quite a wide range of chemicals to control pests,
including: formic and oxalic acid, menthol, thymol, eucalyptol,
camphor, etc.

* "All applications must be documented properly". I wonder how many US
beekeepers document treatments ...

* * *

> Guidelines for organic vegetable production were first implemented during the 80's by private associations. Rising consumer's demand and confusing rules on what is "organic" did finally result in a legal framework to protect the end user from being deceived, and give the producer, processor and exporter a binding framework. In Europe since 1999 apiculture is part of this legislation, and worldwide other countries did or will follow. As an example the EC-regulation 2092/91 is presented. Its focus is not just on product quality but also on sustaining bee's vitality and health as well as beekeeper's impact on the environment.

General standards
- Apiculture is officially acknowledged to be of general significant
impact (pollination, bee products, human health, biodiversity,
employment);
- Organic quality is based on careful production, treatment,
processing, storage and positive environmental conditions;
- All colonies of an apiary must be organic to designate a product as organic;
- Conversion time is at least 1 year;
- Conventional wax has to be removed completely;
- Documentation of all operations and notices is obligatory (
migration, propagation, harvest, feeding, treatment, etc.);
- In case of parallel production strict separation measures have to be applied.

Origin of bees
- Regional species and local subspecies have preference;
- Buying colonies is allowed from organic breeders only, except in
case of building up stocks or recovery after heavy losses (Conversion
time 1 year);
- Annual buying of 10% of swarms and queens (no conversion time) is possible.

Apiary location
- Sufficient distance from non-agricultural pollution sources
(industry centres, waste grounds/incinerators, heavy traffic junctions
etc.);
- Sufficient natural provision with nectar and pollen;
- Placement during collection period; Preferably in organic
agriculture, fallow land, forests, extensively cultivated land, land
under environment protection program;
- Crops from conventional cultivation with considerable input of
agrochemicals may be used but cannot be purchased as organic.

Feeding
- Combs containing brood should not be harvested;
- When harvesting leave sufficient honey supplies;
- Artificial feeding only in case of emergency;
- Feeding with organic honey or organic sugar;
- Feeding only after final harvest up to two weeks before new nectar flow.

Animal health / Identification / Documentation
- Use of robust species and strains;
- Regular queen renewal and colony rejuvenation;
- Application of synthetic medicaments is prohibited; Exceptions are
possible on application, treated colonies must undergo wax renewal and
conversion time;
- Varroa-treatment is allowed with lactic, formic and oxalic acid,
menthol, thymol, eucalyptol, camphor, homoeopathy, and biotechnical
methods as artificial swarm or ban comb;
- Prophylactic synthetic treatment is prohibited (e.g. antibiotics
against foulbrood);
- All applications must be documented properly.

Husbandry practice
- Cutting the queen's wing is prohibited;
- Cutting off drone cells is allowed to reduce varroa during springtime only;
- No synthetic repellents;
- Foundation sheet from organic wax only;
- Hives from natural material only. Small components from plastics are allowed;
- Painting or coating only with wax, propolis or plant oils is allowed;
- For disinfection use only mechanical measures, heat or caustic soda.

Inspection requirements for organic apiculture production

Every operator who produces or collects organic products has to submit
his undertaking to the inspection system (as do processors and
importers/exporters of organic products). For producers of bee
products the following minimum inspection requirements apply:

For the first inspection the operator must draw up a full description
of the unit and his activities, including all conventional parts
related to the organic one. The description includes maps of hives and
collection areas / fields together with a list indicating the last
application of products not permitted by the regulation, storages,
processing sites and packaging facilities. Also the measures to be
taken to ensure compliance with the regulation must be described. If
any change occurs regarding the description or of the practical
measures, the inspection body needs to be informed in due time.
Manuals must be kept for each colony which shows all actions and
applications of products including those not permitted by the
regulation.