From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:00:07 -0700
Hi All,
A friend sent me the following paper on bee viruses by Bailey
http://vir.sgmjournals.org/cgi/reprint/43/3/641.
It's from 1979, but he speaks of strains of Kashmir Bee Virus in Australia
different from those elsewhere.  The virus killed bees within 3 days after
injection.

Several parts of the article are of interest, especially the discussion.  He
raises the question as to whether native species of Aussie bees are
transmitting viruses to honeybees, and wonders why there appeared to be
different isolates of KBV from a "comparatively small region."

It appears that we'll all be able to read Lipkin's paper in Sept--don't
bother trying to get info from him directly.  I don't expect the paper to
solve CCD--if it did, USDA would have released the info.  But it will be
very interesting to see Jerry B and the Army fire up their IVDS machine to
look for whatever Lipkin found by metagenomic analysis.

Food for thought, but we're just gonna have to wait!

Randy Oliver