Condense Mail Headers

From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:46:25 -0400
Nice post Bill

We had 2 claims of CCD here in Mn but both were vauge about the symptoms. Bascially saying
they moved them south in late Fall checked on them latter and the hives had crashed. Wow thats
really convincing.  A Mn state honey producers association board member said this spring he had
heard of no confirmed cases of CCD here even though the two alleged victims are members. .

Most of the nations corn is in Indiana, Iowa, eastern NE, northern MO, southern Wisco/Mn.
Interesting how few if any CCD cases we have in the corn belt.

Obviously CCD is real, what's in serious question is the scope of the problem. Undoubtedly we will
hear claims of CCD during the now annual fall hive collapse that plays out every year.  While CCD
may or may not be history the claims and myths will live on for many many years.

Each week we endure numerous inquiries of how are your bees? from the public at the farmers
market. When I say I have not heard of any affected hives here in Mn sometimes the person says
"well I have a friend or family member who has a few hives and they lost them last winter and they
think its CCD" yah right.....some hobbyist has the where withall to identify a CCD loss. What a
joke!

My guess is there is only a very very very small percentage of people in the USA that might be able
to discern a CCD loss from another more run of the mill loss. Meanwhile we have a much larger
percentage of people running around who think they know what CCD looks like and what causes it
and this includes people who don't even keep bees!