From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:31:17 -0600
Hello Jerry & All,
I am starting to get feedback from the ABF. I was not at the ABFconvention .
I was given a brown manila envelope full of non traceable bills from a
chemical company to stay away ! (Kidding!)

However many (other than beeks) are glad I did not show up.

I am surprised you put your talk up for discussion. I will comment if you
promise to not kill the messenger.

> At ABF, I was asked to talk about pesticides.

The beek  response: to me
Why did you wonder away from the subject which is on their minds? The ABF
convention is basically directed at beekeepers. Mainly commercial &
sideline. The ABF (of which I have been a longtime loyal member) has lost
many commercial beeks to the AHPA (of which I attend at times ) because
those beeks feel the AHPA presentations are directed at their issues and not
future researchers.

> 2) My conclusion and use of the Pogo cartoon that says, "We have met the
> enemy and he is us" - with reference to the mitacides found in comb.

The above hit a nerve because today the U.S. bees are as strong as the bees
have been in decades. Most on the comb you guys say is a problem.

My answer:
 If you
look into the archives you will see I thought as you apparently do that comb
with high levels of these mitacides was our *main*problem. In fact I spent
big
bucks to render my comb with those mitacides in wax. I still believe that
replacing mitacide contaminated comb is a good thing but I have also learned
that mitacide contaminated comb will raise healthy bees when all other
factors are under control. I offer the smile Randy talks about on the Adee
family faces at the convention as proof bees can thrive on these comb as
long as other factors are controlled...

Below are excerpts you posted which read like a chemical company warning to
young researchers or am I reading it wrong?

> Similarly, the results of any pesticide study are likely to get
> more?intensive scrutiny, whether the concern is about environmental risks
> to humans or risks to non-target organisms such as bees.?

> And, if the study comes up with a finding that runs counter to other data
> or that could impact sales of a specific pesticide, the chemical companies
> will immediately take notice.?

 So, young researchers should be made aware that their?pesticide?data may be
called into question.?

> He ended up signing over his house and possessions to his wife to try to
> shield himself from threats of lawsuits being filed?against him for his
> statements.?
>
> So, my concern is for the welfare of the young investigator.?

If I was a young researcher and "the old master"( Jerry B.)
 said the above I would not
want any part of pesticide research!

Jerry said:
> One chemist found that his 'new' foundation had levels that caused him to
> throw it away, start a search for a supplier of wax free of mitacides.?

my response:
Please do not toss. Many beeks are keeping healthy bees on wax from all the
bee supply houses. Maybe Dee would not use but many of my friends will.

Jerry said:
.>>So, the harsh truth is - these products are showing up more frequently
and
at higher levels than anyone would like to see.? From my perspective, that's
a major problem we need to address.? Hopefully, we don't have to go to
Turkey to buy wax that is certified by European labs as being free of
mitacides.

The harsh truth is container loads of comb from all the major wax suppliers
were put in hives this year and the bees are doing great. Why not run tests
on Mann Lake comb to publish? Maybe Jack Thomas would provide funding? Are
you not setting a poor example for your young researchers by saying all comb
in the U.S. from bee supply houses is contaminated? Could you not be sued by
Mann Lake or Dadant as you have provided no proof the amount of mitacides
which the mass spec can find in rendered comb is in fact harmful to the
bees?

The chemical company which beeks are taking issue with because of their
products has been saying what you are saying since bee hives started
crashing. Many of us would like to see some proof to back up these claims.
Commercial beeks this year have installed a staggering amount of the comb
you guys question and wow the best bees in years.

I am looking forward to hearing your presentation word for recorded word
Jerry.

bob