From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:05:18 -0600
Hello Peter & All,
I visited the site Peter posted doing my research. What I love about these
sites (beekeeping also) is that they delete their former recommendations
when new information ( problems?) comes up.

If a member of the list has in the past printed off or saved what was on the
Florida site about temik from the time period it was first approved for use
YEAR AROUND for citrus I would very much like to hear from you. I was raised
in Florida and owned acreage in the panhandle at the time. I had a well
which I was getting drinking water from at about the 20 foot level. temik
was in use around me.

I found in several places Imidacloprid was registered in March of 1994. I am
not sure why the Florida site says 1992?

If I was to give a guess I would say the writer of the information made a
guess as the person simply says a year without giving the month.

> Imidacloprid was first registered for use in the U.S. in 1992 and is
> possibly the most widely used insecticide of the [Neonicotinoid
> Pesticides].

> The application rates for neonicotinoid insecticides
> are *much lower* than older, traditionally used insecticides.

The above statement has little to do with the issue but I am sure impressed
the uninformed person.

> The most available toxicity data > of the neonicotinoids is with
> imidacloprid.

its hard to find any data on many of these new neonicotinoids registered
which kind of points to the fact they are being registered off information
off  other prior registrations. Painting all neonicotinoids with a broad
brush. A very broad brush!

>These data indicate that it is
> less toxic when absorbed by the skin or when inhaled compared to
> ingestion.

Duh!

> It causes minor eye reddening, but is non-irritating to the skin. Signs of
> toxicity in rats include lethargy, respiratory disturbances, decreased
> movement, staggering gait, occasional trembling, and spasms.

Not what I want in a glass of water!

What about insect sub lethal doses and leaching into water supplies?

> Of the neonicotinoids,
> imidacloprid is the most toxic to birds and fish. Both imidacloprid and
> thiamethoxam are highly toxic to honeybees.

Amen!

> from
> Pesticide Information Office, Florida Cooperative Extension Service,
> Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida.
> Original
> publication date October 2005. Visit the EDIS Web Site at
> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu.

I think concerning aldicarb its fair to say "last updated Oct. 2005".

I would suggest those interested in the subject visit the above website
Peter posted and take a look at :

" Specifically Regulated Pesticides in Florida-Aldicarb"

Also realize Temik was regulated very different years ago until problems
started happening. The label I have from years ago reads very different.
Nothing is said at the above site about *why* regulation of temik changed.
Maybe one of Florida's best kept secrets!

I will tell you. Serious water contamination and aldicarb found in oranges
and orange juice.

 Temik ( the red haired step child of systemic pesticides )

bob

--
believed to be clean.