From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 16:41:22 -0400
I forget what Allen said that Eric thought he said that Allen didn’t say.
Allen Did say that he says exactly what he means and I take that for
granted, although I must admit I sometimes think I might be
misunderstanding a few posts here and there.  I have always found Allen
Dick’s contributions to be well reasoned, insightful, non-presumptuous, and
well written.  I also agree with the thrust of what Eric is saying about
the measure of success.  In fact I find it right on.  I also find his
argument quite understandable.

I suggest that we take what lessons we can from this exchange and move on
to the substance of what each as to say, while acknowledging the potential
for misunderstanding even the most precise language.

Regarding success, it occurs to me that it is in the eye of the beholder.
It most certainly relates to what your goals are, and I doubt any two
beekeepers have the same set of those.

Regarding Organic, perhaps a new term should be used relating to
beekeeping.  How about Organicishness, you know, to sort of indicate a
degree of attainment in the pursuit of the unattainable.

One other thing, while I’m at it.  Would Organicishness even be such a big
deal if it weren’t for the fact that we have gotten so far away from what
that might be?  Not just in beekeeping, but in agriculture in general?   If
there is an organic movement, does it really matter if we all agree on a
precise definition as long as it results in a general trend away from
dependence on things that have unaccounted for costs to human and
environmental health?

Steve Noble