From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:11:45 -0400
Grant Gillard wrote:
> I'm hardly the expert on bee genetics, but it seems to be a rather fine line between mongralizing and hybridization.
All in the eye of the beholder. Both end up with the same thing, a new
mix of genes from the original "pure" strains. In the case of the
hybrid, you try to (and nature might) stabilize it there. If it is not
stable, it reverts backwards. In the case of the mongrel, you (and
nature) do not care and keep on hybridizing toward stability.

Also, calling it a hybrid tends to sell better. An unintentional
"Labrador-Collie-Shetland mix" sells better than a "mongrel" even though
it clearly meets that definition.

Bill Truesdell ( a pure
Scot-English-French-Italian-German-Dutch-Norse-African hybrid)
Bath, Maine