From:
Rip Bechmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:49:43 -0400
FWIIW, This summer I submitted a sample of bees to CHBRC from a hive in
this area which was, IMHO, one of the three "hottest" hives I have ever
run across in my 35 years of mainland US bee experience.  They were on
the attack before the cover was removed, they followed a good 100 + yards
(until we got into a garage) and w/o my PPE I would have been a pin
cushion in seconds, the backs of my hands certainly were.

The sample came back 100 % EHB based on morphometrics.  I assume Mona is
testing multiple individuals from the sample, using "classical
morphometrics", which involves more than wing venation, and not just a
simple FABIS.

For the record they were queen right, no obvious disease problems and
were not "runny" on the comb, just "meaner than seven devils".  I have
experienced AHB or EHB but nothing in between.  I can't say what "EHB"
with a "traveling salesman" or two in the recent family tree are like but
I'm sure I am going to know sooner rather than later.

The two behaviors that have impressed me, personally, the most when
dealing with "pure Central American AHB" are the bees bouncing like hail
off your veil and the "runniness(sp)".  The first frame out is for all
intents and purposes "bee free", they are either in the air or have run
back into the hive as the frame is removed.  When you get a second or
third frame out, with bees attached, they run to the lowest edge of the
frame and "Festoon(sp)" until they drop off like "bunches of grapes".  On
the plus side, checking comb, brood, stores, etc. is a snap if you can
see through the "guys" crawling on your veil looking for access to your
eyes and nostrils.

It will be interesting to see if "pure USofA AHB" act the same.

On another note, this list is international, it helps place things in
context if you mention where you are talking about.  As a former postal
worker I feel I should point out that USA don't work.  Besides the USofA
there is also the UofSA not to mention Usa, a town in Japan that did
quite an export trade at one point in time.